Scammers are becoming increasingly sophisticated in their methods. Websites are created in such a high quality which makes it very difficult to differentiate between real businesses than a shady one. They offer amazing travel deals with great prices to allure victims.
When you want to go on vacation, appoint agents from the travel agency is the easiest way to visit places in foreign countries. This is simply because travel agents take the time to research every aspect of your trip. They plan interesting activities that all members of the family can enjoy, and reduce time spent wandering around looking for things to do. Most importantly, travel agents schedule everything, including plane, boat, train tickets including accommodation.
Though it may sound too good to be true however unfortunately there are a lot of complaints of fraud involving travel agents. Many consumers are paying a considerable amount of money to go on holiday but do not know the risks that may be incurred. Some of the cases received are as follows:
• Taking money from the user but does not provide a package
• last minute cancellation of tour packages
• The tour package was charged too expensive, but hotels and other facilities provided by the agency are not satisfactory
• Wants to cancel the package due to some valid reasons and ample time was given to the company. However cancellation was not allowed and the company refused to return the Complainant’s money.
• The Company does not exist.
Most travel agencies company was set up temporarily for the purpose of deceiving customers solely to earn money. After taking money from consumers, the company closes down and the agent absconded with their clients' money.
Not all travel agencies do syndicate as described above. Therefore, users must be wise and careful in choosing the agency that are licensed so do not be fooled by them.
Here are some guidelines in order to protect yourself:-
1. Assess carefully about the company before appointing an agent.
2. Users can learn more about the background of the company through the Companies Commission of Malaysia or check with the Ministry of Tourism the status of the travel agency company (whether their license has been revoked).
3. It is important to file a complaint. If the complaint found to be true, revocation of license and a stern warning would apply to travel agents Company in order to them not to repeat the offense, in accordance with the Tourism Industry Act 1992.
4. List of licenses tour operating and travel agencies can be found on the official web portal of the Ministry of Tourism and Culture Malaysia.
5. Be vigilant, deal only with licensed travel agent.
6. You should receive complete details in writing about any trip prior to payment. These details should include the total price, including all administrative fees and service charges; cancellation and change penalties, if any; and specific information about all components of the package.
7. If you do not receive a receipt for payment on any element of your travel arrangements, you should certainly chase the provider in the first instance.
8. Always pay for your vacation using a credit card. It will allow you to track your purchase; also it should come with confirmation numbers and proper documentation.
Based on what has been stated above, users should be careful when appointing an agent to manage all the services and it is important to do background check of the company before engaging their services.
If you are facing the same problem or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact NCCC at www.nccc.org.my /